Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 14 - Qumran & Galilee

A day/night of packing once again. I don't know how I am going to make it 2 more weeks. FYI - I WORE THE UGLY WHITE POLO FROM PRINCESS CRUISE LAST NIGHT. I might give it to the guy from Brazil.

Our suitcases were at the bus at 8, breakfast at 8:30, devotions (which ran VERY long today with worship) at 9, and we left around 10. We drove for about an hour, and most of us were totally zonked out, when Michael came over the loudspeaker 'Wakey wakey!" I think most of us were not fond if being woken up like that. We got up to go to the site of the Qumran - where they found the Dead Sea Scrolls. We watched a short film of Hasideans who used to live there. Then we walked out into the desert where we toured their ruins and saw the cave from a distance where the scrolls were found. It was very thrilling. We were all VERY disappointed when we had to leave the desert heat and go back to the air conditioned bus. I believe to quote Hope, "You can't win them all."

We stopped by an Isareli mini mart kind of thing for lunch, where I had a snitzel sandwich, which I just finished right now at midnight. We drove up the rest of the way to Galillee through Judea and Samaria, which are also occupied by the Arab Muslims (SURPRISE SURPRISE. Every Jewish holy place is occupied by the Muslims). We drove into Tiberius and past it to get to our hotel, which is actually on the shore of the Sea of Galilee. We checked in at about 3 pm and we had down time til 6. This time I am rooming with Shamir, and so we talked for a little bit before we had a nice nap time.

At 6:30 we had dinner downstairs and then went for a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee. Although this is a very significant place, we had a more "secular" time of fellowship, as we learned to play the African drums. We all played together, and then danced some salsa and other things on the boat and learned some ballroom dancing while others played the drums. I really can't dance. But I have fun trying.

Ben and I went exploring Tiberius for about an hour during our free time in the city. These ice cream bars are really good. He got a sale on the water.

Not much really to report today. We watched a video that Billy had made about a young boy in Harrisburg who was the victim of drunk driving, and who now does activism for prevents DUIs. He's 11, and he's a pretty good motivational speaker. He gave a pretty famous quote, but its true. He said some people look at some things and wonder, "Why?" I dream of things that are not, and wonder, "Why not?" Everyone can strive to be or do something better than they are doing now - and that's the only real time that we grow and become better people - when we set out to accomplish something and actually commit to doing it. It challanged me to do more than just "playing it safe" or being comfortable in my little bubble view of ministry. We'll see what God does.

I've been in Israel for over a week now. Thanks for the prayers. Keep them coming! 3 weeks til VFCC today. That is crazy.

Shalom from Kerei Deshe on the Sea of Galilee.

No comments: