This morning was rough to wake up to. I got in a chatty kathy mood last night and just yipped it up with Ben to 1 in the morning. Just chatting it up. Not talking about anything in particular. Besides the random fact that Rufus likes Jordin Sparks.
This morning I tried to go to the post office this morning to send a postcard to Dr. Meyer. But I couldn't do it. We left at 8:45 to go to the International Christian Embassy in Jerusalem. Malcom Hedding, Director, talked to us about a biblical perspective of Israel and how to be spiritual advocates for Israel without getting too invovled in the politics of the matter. If we always approach things from a biblical perspective, and not side with parties, we can remain the most effective influences for Israel in our communities. We are supporting a nation of people, not a political party or agenda. Jesus preached peace to Israel, and we as Christians owe a debt of gratitude to the Jews.
After this (I'm making it brief because today was a very full day) we went to Hebrew University. We met with reps from their undergrad, grad programs, as well as their special programs and their student life guy. If I had the time in my life schedule, I would definitely have done a semester here. It is actually cheaper than a semester at the forge. I'm going to have a talk with the missions department and the Academic Affairs office about integrating this experience into the semester abroad requirement for the Intercultural Studies major. It is an amazing campus. And they have amazing opportunities to study here. Seriously. In my project I will have a section devoted to Hebrew University.
After our meeting, we got to go eat lunch in the cafeteria. It was good - but everything was really dry. We had a good discussion about fasting and food and the Lord. It was good. I know I don't fast enough. Maybe we will do a church fast at Rohlers soon. Or maybe VFCC. I think that would be cool.
After lunch, we had a "campus tour" where we walked around and saw random sights. We got in this 1st century tomb, which was unlocked so we actually got to go in. And then we saw this amphitheatre. But the tour was hot and kind of pointless cuase it really accomplished nothing.
After the glorious tour, it took us like 30 minutes just to board the bus and leave the campus. We then headed to Stand with Us, which is an organization that works with college students to combat hate messages about Israel that speakers present. We saw a video displaying these hate messages and I was in shock. We were then instructed about what we could do to combat these messages. We then learned about pressing issues in the USA and Europe. Another thing the lady shared with us is that she was on a subway in NYC, and a Egypitian met her, and after learning she was a Jew, felt her head. He was so sure that she had horns. That's what he had been taught about Jews. And he had never met one before her. I think that speaks for itself.
We came back to the hotel and hung out in our room with Eric. Then dinner, which we were very scared was going to be solely vegetarian, but eventually the turkey came out (in orange sauce) but THANK GOD there was meat (cause the veggies were not doing it). We also had really buttery mashed potatoes (!!!!!) but I'm not quite sure if they were real or not. But I had a huge helping anyway.
After supper, we went to a bonfire with the Stand With Us people and their interns in Israel, advocating for change and becoming future leaders. It was good. We had KOSHER marshmellows (because apparnelty smores aren't kosher - I know - really weird). They tasted like cotton candy and icing. They were pink and some were white. They were good. We sat down with 2 of the Israeli's - Barrio and David. We played 2 truths and a lie (because I won't be back at the Forge for orientation). Then Jenaie introduced "this is the book." It's worse than the "who has the hat" game. It took me FOREVER to figure it out. I'm gonna play it at the forge. Or maybe Kidstuf Orientation.
Jordan and I had a good talk on the bus on the way back to the hotel. And then we had a time of worship in our room with Ben on the guitar. It was good. Then we went into Hannah's room at midnight and sang happy brithday. She is 22. Then Rufus, ,Ben, and I had a great prayer time before bed.
And now, dear one, I am tired and am turning in. I won't spoil any of your Olympic anticipations by giving away who wins what. But the USA rocks.
Shalom from Jerusalem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment