Today was awesome. No words can adequately describe the entire days' events and emotions that I experienced.
It didn't start out that way though. I didn't feel very well when I got up this morning, so I slept in a little later than expected and then had to take the Metro to the Conference Center by session two, which was a briefing with PA reps for our Congressman meetings tomorrow. Anyway, when I stepped on the shuttle to take me to the metro from the hotel, there were 4 other "late-commers". They happened to be from Lakeland, Florida. I couldn't remember where I knew that town from…and when they asked me if I knew where that was, I was like…I think there's a university there…have you guys heard of Southeastern? Turns out they were students there, and the one girl is actually going on the Israel Experience with me. It was cool - we compared schools on the Metro ride. They really didn't have much knowledge of the A/G though - it was surprising. But my grandfather and uncle taught there - so yeah - I am cool.
We haven't met Robert Stearns yet - it seems he's really sick, so he hasn't been here yet. Tomorrow, Todd Platts can't see us, so I'm going to go with Shawna to visit her house rep, as well as Bob Casey's assistant, because everyone wants to go and see Arlen Spector. Surprise surprise. I didn't know that Spector was Jewish though.
The next session was an Israel/Middle East debriefing. This session was very full of information, but a little dry. Shawna and I have done so much research about Israel and current events, and how Iran needs to be contained that most of this was things we already knew. To stay awake (don't think of me as a horrible person - most of the students agreed that it was hard to remain attentive) we looked at the pictures of the 110th Congress members, department heads, supreme court justices, and the like. I read a little more of my readings and debriefings for Israel. It was difficult to want to stay, even though the speakers were very good. They made great points, and were great, but we were a little uninterested.
After that, we rode the Metro back to the hotel and took a little rest before the Night to Honor Israel banquet this evening. We ate some cookies and beef jerkey, and I received my package from Lisa Lettich with my razor. After a 20 min nap, we headed back. We missed the shuttle to get back, so we had to walk to a different Metro station. The guy either gave us bad directions, or we severely made a mistake. It took us a while to get there, and in a shirt and tie, it was a little hot. We eventually got there. The hall was DECKED OUT with a huge Israel flag on one side and an American flag on the other. On our chairs were Israel and American flags. It was a powerful night. They sang Hebrew songs that were entertaining and energetic - and then one that was about the return to Zion. There was a movie about Israel's history - so moving. Sen. Joe Lieberman spoke and he did really well. Jack Heagy spoke as well. A Catholic priest and an Israeli rabbi gave blessings. I was almost in tears in one point…and had the biggest smile on my face at other times. It was awesome. SOOOO awesome. Maybe I will reflect more on it later. The one thing that is so awesome is that we have such a rich heritage. Something to keep in mind is that Christianity cannot define itself without looking to Judiasm. However, Judiasm doesn't need Christianity to define itself. But we got the Bible from the Jews - JESUS was a JEW - theres just so much heritage we have - our Judeo-Christian roots.
These past few months I've been on a journey thinking about God is eternal - the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He has been doing this thing for A LONG TIME - and He continues to do great things today.
God is awesome. Can't wait til tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment