Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 4 - May 4

Today was the missionary's "day off."  We've talked about the importance of rest and sabbath in a person's life, so today was it for us.  I again got up at 5:30 am, stayed up til 7:30, then fell back asleep til 11:30.  I had to get up then, and I was embarrassed that I slept that long.  Got up, washed my face, and headed downstairs.  We later realized that we had to wait for Alan to share a cab to the Sky Train station, so I played with Tio, Bei (the Pastor)'s son.  I played with him for about an hour, even though he can't really speak English and I really can't speak Thai.  We understand each other well enough though.  His dad made a comment to the missionary that we've developed this play language.  Haha.  I guess we have.

Anyway, after Alan got there, we all grabbed a taxi and took it to the Sky Train.  Got on that (much like the Metro in DC) and went into the heart of Bangkok.  Got to see this famous Buddhist shrine, and sat there for a while and observed people putting flowers on it, lighting candles to it, burning incense.  They will pay girls to do a dance as they pray to it, they buy these elephant statues to leave at the altar - all this weird stuff.  I wonder if these people realize that this isn't even real Buddhism.  Buddha was never about God-worship, he was about emptying himself.  I wonder if they leave feeling the same way, or if there's something in laying those flowers at this fake idol that makes them feel better about their life.  And if so, I wonder why.

I walked into another slum where we'll be teaching, and talked with some of the people.  Gah, i NEED to get better at speaking Thai.  After that, we took the public boat that goes through the channel back to the hotel.  That was really cool.  Maybe I'll be able to post a photo on here or something of it.  It was pretty packed with people, but Gabe's seen it more packed before.  We got out at Chanarissa stop, and walked a ways back to the house.  At the house, we were able to dialogue with Chuey and her cousin and two brothers.  It was a good chance to practice my Thai and for them to practice their English.

For dinner, we went over to the missionaries' apartment and had pizza and played the extension version of Settlers of Caban: Cities and Knights.  Deborah won the first round, Gabe won the second.  It was fun.

Back now.  Tired.  Not motivated to write this but I did it.  Ha.  Tomorrow will be a better entry.

1 comment:

Abbeylyn Grenier said...

Wow.. You got to go on the Boat.. When i was there the boat was so packed that we took a taxi cab. So how did you like the SKY Train. great right i love it.. it was one of my favorite parts of Bangkok. That and Clean Taxi Cabs.. So much better then NY Cab. Well i hope that you have a great night.. maybe i will stay up a little bit more and caught you in the morning your time