Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 16

I vowed to wake up early today.  And then I wanted to go out and buy a few things.  Which did not.  I just stayed in bed until it was time to get a shower and get up and go teach.  Teaching was good.  It was a smaller group again at a woman from the church's house.  These students were better at English, so it was more fun to teach them.  I feel like my Thai got a lot better from teaching them.  The woman whose house we are teaching has an amazing story.  I know I didn't share it yet.  Anyway, when we were on this retreat, this lady's son tried to commit suicide by taking a lot of pills.  Well, he didn't die, but got rushed to the hospital.  His liver was shot and this lady just got out of debt and she would have had to pay a lot of money to just cover the hospital bills, and the doctors were telling her that her son needed a liver transplant, which would cost a WHOLE lot more.  Everyone was angry at the son because he was basically going to wreck the mom's life.  Anyway, this happened last weekend, and we're been praying for the son ever since.  Today, he's been released from the hospital, and his liver is fine.  Praise God.

Anyway, after teaching, we came back to the house for a little bit, and then I decided that I really wanted a haircut, and as a cultural experience, set out with Chiab (who graciously volunteered to translate) for a barber shop.  We decided to go to the one with the lady barber, as the other shop had a "lady-boy" working and I wasn't really all about that.  Anyway, it was a cheap deal and it looks pretty good.  Probably the best hair cut I've gotten all year.  One interesting cultural experience I had though, while I was there: In Thailand, they shave your ears.  And not just the inside of your ear (where old men grow hair) but the lobes and sides too.  It was weird.  Lol.

Gabe and I grabbed some chicken fried rice real fast before we headed to our next teaching gig.  This gig was good - its fun to have an actually classroom to teach in.  We taught the days of the week and did some time concepts.  It was really good.  I like teaching a lot.  Good think I'm looking into grad school for that.

I came back for worship practice at the church around 4:30.  Every song we are doing tomorrow is in minor.  Lol.  It lasted an hour and a half.  I am pretty excited about playing tomorrow.  Practice went a little over so I was a few minutes late to Al & Lynette's.  We played Settlers: Cities and Knights with the Ellis family from India.  It was THE LONGEST game of my life.  Jerod and I lost interest after hour two.  It was a really long game.

I can't believe I'm leaving soon.

No comments: