Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 12

Morning comes. Sleeping on the floor = so much fun. With blankets that were one foot too short = not as much. Eric got the bed and told me several times it was the best sleep he’s had since he’s here. I’m such a good guy for letting him have it.

Didn’t want to really eat breakfast this morning, but they wouldn’t feed the kids here until we came down for breakfast. It was actually not bad – chicken (I think it was chicken, maybe pork) rice, soup, and kimchi (which I have successfully avoided for like 5 days now).

Drove to the church, had a staff meeting – worked on activities & planned what we were going to teach. I don’t think I got much done before lunch – all I remember was that Amanda, Bin & I got drinks in the coffee shop. I got a strawberry smoothie and they had coffee (which I still cannot stand the taste of). We talked about everything under the sun – international politics, currency, economics, Obama, health care, terrorism – it was crazy. Time ‘flows’, according to Bin. He’s a ninth grader (born in 94) and he wants to work in the UN when he grows up, but I kind of think he’s going to be a pastor. He has a good heart and I think he’s called into ministry. Anyway, before we knew it, we had lunch. I really cannot tell you what was for lunch – everything blurs together. OH they did make us potatoes and eggs. We only have 4 more weeks left of this food. And then I have to cook on my own and I’ll probably also eat the same four dishes all the time.

Ok, so I taught the fourth & fifth grade class of 14 students for the first 2 hours today – we are called Team Amazing and we drew pictures on our flag of things we thought were amazing. They drew Jesus on the cross – with six pack abs. That made me laugh. Jesus probably was a beast – all that carpentry and all. After that we played the game where I tape an animal to their backs and they have to go around asking questions about what animal they have in English Epic Fail. The camp shirts the church bought them are tape resistant – none of the papers stayed stuck to the back of their shirts. And in the midst of trying to get them to stick, the head of the camp came in and told me I had a staff meeting in two minutes. I guess every teacher has days where things just don’t work as planned. Haha

Next, I ran the Jenga station with Eric. For the first group, we had the middle schoolers, so we did trivia and spelling words. After that, we had the first graders who loved to SCREAM! We did colors, numbers, and shapes with them. Every time one of the students went to pull out a Jenga piece, they all screamed at the top of their lungs. It was ridiculous. Our last group was fourth graders I think. We did a lot of trivia about biggest countries, most populated countries, and national capitals. Back to homeroom for corn dogs, and the day was done. We had to book it to the bus to make it back to the retreat center.

We’ve been here since dinner, which was good, I think. Typical Korean food. I get tired of writing what it was – when I have something unique, I’ll be sure to let you know. Then we just kind of chilled us guys – talked about girls, I got thrown into the shower fully clothed, read some of the books I brought, and had an epic pillow fight with the kids. Going to bed earlier tonight. Catch ya later.

No comments: