Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 6

Things I have not mentioned before:
The other night Amanda had a dream that the North Koreans were attacking. She woke up against a cinder block wall (which was the wall next to her bed). Thinking that the North Koreans were cementing her into her bunk, she starting banging on it screaming for help. She woke up all of her roommates and then had a good laugh about it. Now, while we were all sitting around, Christy told one of the professors. We all sat in shocked silence, until he bust out laughing. Then we laughed just as hard with him.

This morning, I was not about to stress about the lesson plan. I did not really want to spend much time stressing over it. Was that a redundant sentence? lol I am tired today. I skipped breakfast though to work on getting music together for my 2 hour lesson on music genres. Trust me, I wouldn't have devoted that much time to it normally if I wasn't required to. The morning went off well - we taught idioms of the day again, synonyms, and then all about music. Some of my kids fell asleep during a part of the music lecture. I did not really wake them - those same ones struggled in the game afterwards because they didn't know what the genres sounded like.

Lunch - kimchi and rice. and Korean BBQ. Which really means they give you leaves or greens to wrap pork in with this great sauce - i've described it before as really good marinara sauce. I'm not sure if that's the best description, but I can't think of a better explanation. You wrap the pork, rice, and kimchi (except no kimchi for me) and sauce in the lettuce and/or tree leaf and shove it all in your mouth at once. It is very good.

I have decided "spice" in Korea is very limited to red pepper, and the amount of spice is determined by how much red pepper is put into anything. Hence, sometimes the soup is a little blander, but usually always the same flavor. lol.

We had a Ranking Show today that was a lot of fun - kids were polled to find out what the best thing about the school was, who the best teacher was, etc. Then, they had to vote in teams to try and guess the top 3 choices. Took up time and was SO much fun - Thank you Lord! We also did more music lectures (which i was not a huge fan of) and THEN we got to do Conversational English for two hours. Today, I got to be someone who hired people for Nintendo. This was a 2 hour long task asking kids about their qualifications, and then having to explain what qualification meant to them haha. Again, it is really funny because you can usually ad lib with kids who are more advanced. We were also told to be a little "harder" on them today, so I had to not hire like 10 people out of the 80 or so that came to see me. Oh, but after, let me just tell you, we got ice cream stuff in this package with a straw attached - Santo! The BEST THING I"VE HAD THIS ENTIRE TRIP! Thank you Lord for something sweet and not kimchi flavored or related in any way, shape, form, smell, or taste. Glory!

I realize I'm punctuating like a raving Pentecostal; I don't care. lol. I am tired, and happy. I had to run a Spelling Bee with Jenga tiles and when they missed a word they had to take two Jenga pieces out of their team tower. My voice gets tired though in running all of these activities. I think that might have been it. Yesterday, if i didn't mention, after conversation hour, we had vanilla yogurt with chocolate add-in things. Also, highlight of the food day. Since apparently the followers of my blog love reading my food descriptions haha. My mother actually recommended it to my cousin BECAUSE my cousin would learn about Korean food? So glad I can be the voice of Korean Cuisine to a dark and hurting world. haha

Guess what was for dinner?! KIMCHI! haha. And octopus with kimchi flavoring. And chicken nuggets & soup & rice. I know, you're thinking it was so original. This was the first time I have had octopus. It may be the last. It has a very unique texture. And after only a week of eating Korean food, I just want to lift my hands and sing
"Jesus take the kimchi
Take it from my plate
Cuz I don't want it anymore..
I'm throwing it out
It gives me great heartburn
And it tastes like I regurgitated in my mouth
Jesus Take the Kimchi (and bring me a pizza)

Thank you Jesus! And Carrie (Underwood) Fisher.

We had the most fun team devotional after dinner, including a time for about 5-10 minutes where we could not stop laughing. Kind of cut into Amanda's scripture reading, but it was really good. I'm so glad all these people are with me on this trip. Don't get the idea that I am not having the time of my life. Do I miss something food that isn't rice, soup, or taste like pepper? Yes. But am I totally stoked with how God keeps giving us opportunities to minister, like tonight how there were students who just hung with us as we just blogged and did devotions? Yes. So pumped.

The Lord is awesome people. Thank you for the prayers. Tomorrow (today for you, kind of) you can pray that the Lord helps us in our Talent Show, where I am one of the emcees. Should be fun. Pray that the Lord also opens up doors for us to share our faith. One of my students was talking to Amanda today, and said, (of me), "He has a...a...kindness about Him." She said she so badly wanted to say IT'S JESUS! Pray that our gentleness will be evident to all.

Thanks!

No comments: